balikbayan baks

February 18, 2007

Pippen hot to play for the Heat

LAS VEGAS -- It was 13 years ago when Scottie Pippen was the stars of stars, when Pippen in the first All-Star Game after Michael Jordan's "retirement" was the MVP in a big Eastern Conference win.

"I remember Michael was not there," said Pippen, who'll participate Saturday in the Shooting Stars contest with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and Candice Dupree of the Chicago Sky in one of several contests leading up to the slam dunk contest. "I was the veteran guy. A lot of the guys had stepped down, Magic [Johnson], Michael, Larry [Bird], Charles [Barkley, who was injured], guys who I had taken a back seat to. It was a time I was in my prime and could step forward."

Pippen did with a game-high 29 points and 11 rebounds, and you remember Pippen holding that trophy aloft that cold day in Minneapolis. The same, warm satisfied smile seemed to comfort Pippen again Friday while he was surrounded by media asking him about his intention to return to the NBA.

In a weekend of entertainment and the bizarre, where golfer Michelle Wie strolled around during the media session doing her own interviews, there is little news. There was the usual workup to Sunday's All-Star game with Dirk Nowitzki moving into the West starting lineup and Shaquille O'Neal saying he won't stay long in the East's.

So, against that backdrop, a sure future Hall of Famer who hopes to return to the NBA at 41 stood out.

Pippen, never shy about stating his opinions and intentions, made it clear he'd love to play for the Miami Heat.

"I'm looking at teams like Miami, Cleveland, Dallas, San Antonio. I feel there are a few teams I could help," Pippen said.

Sitting at a nearby table later on, Kobe Bryant said he'd call Pippen and ask him to consider the Lakers.

"I'd like an opportunity to help a team contend for a championship," Pippen said. "I'd like to go play with Shaq. That would be the ideal place. He's probably the best in the game, he and Dwyane Wade. Teams in the East still are bunched up, but [the Pistons and the Heat] will be fighting it out in the Eastern finals.

"I don't see anyone really a threat to them. Indiana is going in another direction, the Bulls still are lacking that inside presence."

Though O'Neal said he hadn't heard about any Pippen interest in Miami, Wade was excited.

"I'm already playing with [Gary] Payton and Shaq; Scottie and Michael are two guys I used to play with on video games," Wade said. "To add Scottie to the mix, that would be crazy. It would be a dream."

But through it all, you could still feel the specter of Jordan hanging over Pippen.

So Pippen never hesitated when he was asked—once again—about not being appreciated as much as he should have been.

"I know that, but I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward, shocked pause after Pippen answered—Pippen over Jordan?—and someone finally asked why.

"Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen added. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

It's not to say Pippen wished he hadn't played with Jordan. But they never were truly close; they were fierce competitors who never wanted to be second. Though Jordan is on hand to help judge the dunk contest Saturday, they haven't spoken lately.

As for Pippen's quest, he appears to be in terrific condition and knows today's players and game well. But he also understands his time could be past.

"I'm not betting on it, anyway," Pippen said. "If nothing falls the right way I won't be returning, and that's OK."

But he would like one more chance again to get to that final game. Maybe just because Jordan returned and couldn't.

All-Star media day is like the NFL's with all sorts of ancillary media and entertainment reporters. One guy came up to Pippen and showed him a Jordan rookie trading card, saying it was the 20th anniversary and asking if Pippen had one.

Pippen looked at him curiously and evenly said no. The guy asked then if Pippen collected anything.

"Championship rings," Pippen said.

Would one more be enough for Pippen's serenity? He'd like to find out.

sasmith@tribune.com

No comments: